Membership of The Royal Society of Queensland is open to any person interested in the pursuit of evidence-led knowledge. Membership is an avenue for sharing in the work of scientists and expanding personal horizons. In an era of politically motivated ‘alternative facts’, the Society affirms the existence of ‘real facts’ that accord with the laws of nature and seeks to expand the boundaries of this knowledge.
The Society offers:
- a generalist perspective on science, not limited to any one discipline or to the natural sciences;
- an ability to network across disciplines, between academics and practitioners, and between scientists and the public;
- a tradition grounded in the Enlightenment with its emphasis on rational enquiry uncompromised by superstition, commercial interest or politics;
- a platform for interpreting scientific knowledge for a lay or policy audience;
- a bridge between science and policy by drawing upon the experience of senior associates who have had an extensive career in politics or public service;
- capacity to translate science independent of partisan or commercial interest or disciplinary insularity.
With the activation of the Research Fund from 5 June 2018, the Society can now offer support for scientific enquiry from a bright idea, through a research grant, networking, public seminars and conferences to publication for the international permanent record.
Membership of the Society offers two-way benefits.
For the individual:
- A Newsletter, approximately monthly, privileged to members.
- A networking hub to connect members with others having like-minded interests.
- Meetings addressed by experts and, usually, allowing extensive dialogue. Free or nominal-charge entry.
- Access to one of the oldest scientific libraries in the State, in association with the Queensland Museum.
- Opportunity to establish a web sub-page dedicated to their field of professional interest.
- Access to the online archive of digital copies of the Proceedings back to 1859.
From 1 April 2020, the annual Proceedings are placed online free of charge. From 1 April 2020, a printed copy will not be provided free of charge to members but can be purchased by ‘print on demand’ for additional cost.
Membership upholds more than 150 years of scientific endeavour. It supports the Society’s role as a point of contact for non-governmental science, including through the emerging Queensland Science Network, a collaboration of more than 25 knowledge-based societies. Membership legitimises the Society’s activities and allows it to speak with confidence on behalf of Queensland scientists, including by making representations to governments. A membership form can be printed and scanned.
Members-only News and Newsletters
This page is accessible only to Members. It includes an archive of the Newsletters.
CATEGORIES OF MEMBERSHIP AND SUPPORTERSHIP
The Society shall consist of Honorary Life Members, Ordinary Members and Student (Associate) Members. Life membership is a gift of the Society and cannot be purchased.
From 1 May 2021, a scaled range of “Supporterships” is available for those who wish to make a larger contribution to the Society’s running costs.
Platinum Supporter – $1000, includes 3 years’ membership and printed Proceedings.
Gold Supporter – $500, includes 2 years’ membership and printed Proceedings.
Silver Supporter – $250, includes 1 year’s membership and printed Proceedings.
Bronze Supporter – $100, includes 1 year’s membership.
General donations can be lodged into account BSB 313-140, Account 12266499. They are not tax deductible. Please mark the transfer with an identifying name. Request a receipt via email to email@example.com if required. Alternatively, click on the following PayPal link, which transfers to a ‘Donations’ page where you specify the amount and preferred method of payment.
Royal Society Membership
If you are already a member and wish to renew your membership login HERE using your membership email.
Register New Account
Information & Pricing
Membership to the Royal Society of Queensland is open to all and has no academic pre-conditions. It costs:
$35 for 1 year ($50 from 11 July 2021)
$65 for 2 years ($90 from 11 July 2021)
$95 for 3 years ($125 from 11 July 2021).
Pay With Card
Pay online using your card, via PayPal. You do not require an account with PayPal; just click the ‘Pay With Card’ button. Once your payment is processed the system will send you a welcome email. (Note: this option may not work from a Queensland Government email address). If you have any difficulty, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the guidelines for explanation.
Other Payment Methods
Information about payment options other than online via PayPal can be found at: