Membership of the Royal Society of Queensland is open to any person interested in the progress of science or in evidence-led inquiry more generally. It is an avenue through which individuals can share in the work of scientists and leaders and can expand their personal horizons. Membership enhances the legitimacy of the Society and tacitly supports the work it does to uphold traditions of scientific method.
In an era when leaders are prone to creating ‘alternative facts’, it is all the more important that citizens who understand how vital honest enquiry is to our society’s intellectual capacity and its well-being demonstrate their insight by joining like-minded supporters.
The Society offers:
- a generalist perspective on science, not limited to any one discipline or to the natural sciences;
- an ability to network across disciplines, between academics and practitioners, and between scientists and the public;
- a tradition grounded in the Enlightenment with its emphasis on rational enquiry uncompromised by superstition or politics;
- an ability to interpret scientific knowledge for a lay or policy audience by networking among experts and offering a platform;
- a bridge between science and policy by drawing upon the experience of senior associates who have had an extensive career in politics or public service;
- capacity to translate science independent of partisan or commercial interest or disciplinary insularity.
With the energising of the Research Fund from 5 June 2018, the Society can now offer support for scientific enquiry from a bright idea, through a research grant, networking, public seminars and conferences to publication for the international permanent record.
Membership of the Society offers two-way benefits – both individual and collective.
For the individual:
- A Newsletter to keep members up-to-date with what’s going on.
- A networking hub to connect members with others having like-minded interests
- Meetings addressed by eminent experts, presenting the latest developments in science and policy and, usually, allowing extensive dialogue. Free or nominal-charge entry.
- A printed copy of the annual Proceedings.
- Access to one of the largest and oldest scientific libraries in the State, in association with the Queensland Museum.
- Opportunity to establish a web sub-page dedicated to their field of professional interest.
Members join an interconnected network of scientists and naturalists reaching across all relevant disciplines.
Membership upholds more than 150 years of scientific endeavour. It supports the Society’s role as a point of contact for non-governmental science, including through the emerging Queensland Science Network, a collaboration of more than 20 knowledge-based societies. It allows the Society to hold a prominent conference approximately annually and to make representations to government. Most importantly, membership legitimises the Society’s activities and allows it to speak with confidence on behalf of Queensland scientists.
This page is accessible only to Members of the Society. It is yet to be populated with content.
CATEGORIES OF MEMBERSHIP
The Society shall consist of Honorary Life Members and Ordinary Members.
Royal Society Membership
In the future you will be able to access society resources.
If you are already a member and wish to renew your membership login HERE using your membership email.
Register New Account
Information & Pricing
Membership to the Royal Society of Queensland is open to all and has no academic pre-conditions. It costs:
$35 for 1 year
$65 for 2 years
$95 for 3 years
Pay With Card
Pay membership online using your card, payments being handled by PayPal. You do not require an account with PayPal to submit a card payment. Once your payment is processed the system will send you a welcome email.
At 30 September 2018, software bugs in the online payment facility are still being ironed out. If you have difficulty, register or renew by bank transfer, including a reference to name.
Other Payment Methods
Information about payment options other than online can be found at:
DonationsDonations to the Research fund can be lodged into the trust account: BSB 064-000, Account number 1378 7183. Please mark the transfer with an identifying name and send a specific request for a receipt to .