Membership of the Royal Society of Queensland is open to any person interested in the progress of science or in evidence-led inquiry. It is an avenue through which individuals can share in the work of scientists and can expand their personal horizons. Membership enhances the legitimacy of the Society and tacitly supports the work it does to uphold traditions of scientific method.
In an era when leaders are prone to creating ‘alternative facts’, it is all the more important that citizens who understand how vital honest enquiry is to our society’s well-being demonstrate their insight by joining like-minded supporters.
The Society offers:
- a generalist perspective on science, not limited to any one discipline or to the natural sciences;
- an ability to network across disciplines, between academics and practitioners, and between scientists and the public;
- a tradition grounded in the Enlightenment with its emphasis on rational enquiry uncompromised by superstition, commercial interest or politics;
- an ability to interpret scientific knowledge for a lay or policy audience by networking among experts and offering a platform;
- a bridge between science and policy by drawing upon the experience of senior associates who have had an extensive career in politics or public service;
- capacity to translate science independent of partisan or commercial interest or disciplinary insularity.
With the activation of the Research Fund from 5 June 2018, the Society can now offer support for scientific enquiry from a bright idea, through a research grant, networking, public seminars and conferences to publication for the international permanent record.
Membership of the Society offers two-way benefits.
For the individual:
- A Newsletter to keep members up-to-date with what’s going on.
- A networking hub to connect members with others having like-minded interests.
- Meetings addressed by eminent experts, presenting the latest developments in science and policy and, usually, allowing extensive dialogue. Free or nominal-charge entry.
- Access to one of the largest and oldest scientific libraries in the State, in association with the Queensland Museum.
- Opportunity to establish a web sub-page dedicated to their field of professional interest.
- Access to the online archive of digital copies of the Proceedings back to 1859.
From 1 April 2020, a printed copy of the annual Proceedings will not be provided free of charge to members but will be made available by “print on demand” for an additional cost. From 1 April 2020, the annual Proceedings will be placed online free of charge.
Members join an interconnected network of scientists and naturalists reaching across all relevant disciplines.
Membership upholds more than 150 years of scientific endeavour. It supports the Society’s role as a point of contact for non-governmental science, including through the emerging Queensland Science Network, a collaboration of more than 25 knowledge-based societies. It allows the Society to hold a prominent conference approximately annually and to make representations to government. Most importantly, membership legitimises the Society’s activities and allows it to speak with confidence on behalf of Queensland scientists.
CATEGORIES OF MEMBERSHIP
The Society shall consist of Honorary Life Members, Ordinary Members and Student (Associate) Members. In April 2021 Council resolved to establish a scaled range of “Supporterships” to accommodate those who wish to make a larger contribution to the Society’s running costs.
Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze Supporters – details to come soon.
Members-only News and Newsletters
This page is accessible only to Members. It is being populated with an archive of the Newsletters.
General donations to the Society can be lodged into the account BSB 313-140, Account number 12266499. Please mark the transfer with an identifying name and request a receipt via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, just click on the PayPal button:
When you click on ‘Donate’ you will be transferred to a PayPal ‘Donations’ page where you can enter the amount you wish to donate and your preferred method of payment. See the “Making a difference” page for more details. Donations to the general work of the Society are not tax deductible.
Donations to the Research Fund are tax-deductible and can be lodged into the trust account: BSB 064-001, Account number 11970213. Please mark the transfer with an identifying name and send a specific request for a receipt to email@example.com.
Royal Society Membership
If you are already a member and wish to renew your membership login HERE using your membership email.
Register New Account
Information & Pricing
Membership to the Royal Society of Queensland is open to all and has no academic pre-conditions. It costs:
$35 for 1 year ($50 from 1 July 2021)
$65 for 2 years ($90 from 1 July 2021)
$95 for 3 years ($125 from 1 July 2021).
Pay With Card
Pay online using your card, via PayPal. You do not require an account with PayPal; just click the ‘Pay With Card’ button. Once your payment is processed the system will send you a welcome email. (Note: this option may not work from a Queensland Government email address). If you have any difficulty, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the guidelines for explanation.
Other Payment Methods
Information about payment options other than online via PayPal can be found at: